Light Adjustable Lens
Horizon Eye Specialists & LASIK Center, leading refractive and cataract surgery practice, is proud to announce it is the first in Arizona to offer a revolutionary new lens implant, the Light Adjustable Lens (LAL) by RxSight. The LAL is the first and only FDA-approved intraocular lens implant (IOL) that can be adjusted after cataract surgery, allowing surgeons to partner with their patients and achieve optimized results for every unique eye.
With the LAL, beginning two to three weeks after surgery, the surgeon administers an office-based UV light treatment (which generally takes 90 seconds) that adjusts the prescription of the IOL while it is in the patient’s eye. This can be repeated two to three times until patients have achieved their vision goals. The surgeon then uses a final exposure treatment to preserve the lens power. A study of 600 subjects by the FDA found that patients who received the LAL were 200% more likely to achieve 20/20 vision without glasses than patients who received standard monofocal lens implants.
This technology is ideal for patients wanting to achieve the best possible distance vision without glasses, especially for patients who have had previous vision-correcting surgery such as LASIK, PRK, or RK.
“I am so excited to be able to offer this game-changing technology to my patients. Never before have I been so confident in my ability to deliver customized, precise vision outcomes to my patients,” says Dr. Jay Levin, medical director and cataract surgeon at Horizon.
The LAL is available to patients undergoing cataract surgery. In addition, the LAL is available as part of a Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE), a surgical procedure that involves removing the lens of the eye, prior to it forming a cataract, and replacing it with an artificial intraocular lens implant.
Light Adjustable Lens Fast Facts
- The first and only adjustable intraocular lens (IOL) that allows your physician to customize your vision after your cataract surgery.
- Patients who received the Light Adjustable Lens followed by adjustments were twice as likely to achieve 20/20 vision at 6 months without glasses as those who received a standard monofocal IOL.
- The cataract removal and IOL implantation procedure is the same as if you selected a non-adjustable IOL.
- The Light Adjustable Lens is made of a special photosensitive material that changes the shape and power of your implanted lens in response to ultraviolet (UV) light.
- You will have the unique ability to preview and compare possible vision outcomes based on your preferences and lifestyle requirements.
- Light treatments that precisely reshape your implanted lens are delivered in your doctor’s office to adjust your vision to the desired target.
- Light treatments are painless, non-invasive, and last approximately 90 seconds.
- You may need 2 to 4 total light treatments over a period of 3 to 4 weeks to reach your vision goals.
- You will need to wear special UV protective glasses during all waking hours (from time of lens implantation until after the last light treatment is completed) to prevent exposure to indoor and outdoor sources of UV light that can cause uncontrolled changes to the Light Adjustable Lens
For more information about the LAL, contact Horizon Eye Specialists & LASIK Center at (602) 467-4966, or book your consultation: