Your eyes are truly the window to your soul and are often the first thing others notice about you. But what do your eyes say about you? When you look into the mirror do you see tired and puffy eyes, or do you see youthful and energetic eyes? And while we’re on the subject, how is your eyesight? Our eyes often give the first clues to others, and ourselves, that we are aging. But by taking care of your eyes, and eyesight, you can maintain a youthful appearance.
An Ounce of Prevention
The best way to maintain a youthful appearance around your eyes is to prevent damage from the sun and to care for your eyes from the inside. Use these preventative tips:
- Moisturize and wear a broad spectrum sunscreen daily to protect against UVA and UVB light.
- Protect your eyes when you’re outside. Wear sunglasses when you’re driving, and outside, to protect your skin and to prevent the development of crows feet that can come from squinting in sunlight.
- Get plenty of sleep as most adults require at least 6-8 hours per night.
- Drink plenty of water. Chronic dehydration can speed the development of wrinkles.
Even if you’re extremely diligent in your skincare routine, sometimes we will have a sleepless night or not feel our best, and our eyes will show it.
- Puffy eyes: Reduce puffiness by placing wet tea bags (with caffeine) over your eyes for five minutes.
- Dark circles: Reduce the appearance of dark circles by getting plenty of sleep and drinking plenty of water. Vitamin K can decrease dark circles as well. Get your vitamin K by adding spinach, tomatoes, and broccoli to your diet, and by using an eye cream that contains vitamin K, or take a vitamin K supplement.
Don’t Be Short-Sighted
Although it’s nice to maintain a youthful appearance, there is no substitute for eye health. Poor eyesight causes squinting, resulting in crows feet and forehead wrinkles. Most adults need a complete eye exam every 1-2 years. Stay up-to-date with eye exams, and wear eyeglasses or contact lenses if prescribed. If you are tired of the look and maintenance of eyeglasses, or the hassle of contact lenses, consider LASIK eye surgery, a great solution for looking young and achieving your best personal vision.
For more tips on eye care and maintaining your youthful appearance, or to schedule an eye exam with one of our amazing doctors, contact us today.